Between tradition and the future

The beginnings of Schümer as a company go far back and can not be completely reconstructed. The family roots can be found in the old Schüttorf weaving and linen merchant families Rost and Schümer. Over several decades, the company became a guarantor for the innovative production of flame-retardant fabrics. Successes and setbacks led to the right consequences for building a future-oriented company. Between tradition and the future, Schümer has proven itself as a reliable partner for garment manufacturers, leasing companies and end users.

Pre 1808
Johann-Heinrich Rost (1737-1817) and his son Johan Rost (1772-1815) ran the dyeing business Johann-Heinrich Rost & Sohn.

1816
Johan Rost’s widow marries the Schümer company namesake, Lambertus Schümer (1787-1856).

Pre 1835
Lambertus Schümer operated a cotton and linen weaving mill and dyeing (refinement) business under the name L. Schümer.

1856
His son Gerhardus Schümer took over his father’s business and in 1859/60 built a new dyeing, finishing and raising facility. He married Gerhard Rost’s widow.

1865
At the opening of the commercial register Gerhardus Schümer named the company G. Schümer & Co. (Blue dyeing and printing).

1870
Conversion of production to steam operation.

1889/90
Development of a mechanical weaving mill with 210 looms.

1901
Construction of the “new” factory on Nordhorner Straße with 370 looms, sizing, winding and raising facilities.

1926
Expansions of the dyeing plant and erection of the building on Nordhorner Straße.

1930s
Beginning of the development of fire-resistant workwear fabrics. Since then, the company has been one of the innovators in this highly sensitive market segment.

1969
Takeover of the Hammer & Hoon weaving mill, Gildehaus.

1972
Takeover of the Remy weaving and dyeing plant, Schüttorf.

1980
The company changed its legal format. It began trading under “G. Schümer GmbH & Co.”.

1982
Takeover of the Maschmeyer weaving, dyeing and printing plant, with its entire staff. Registration of the SCHÜMER SECAN® trademark as a registered trademark for flame retardant fabrics.

2000/01
With investments in weaving, dyeing and finishing a sustainable modernisation of essential production areas took place.

2005/06
Introduction of new products to the market and further future-oriented investments.

2007
The company Schümer is in its ninth generation of the founding family

2011
The company began operating under “Schümer Textil GmbH”.

2012
New production facility for equipment unique to Germany for our permanently flame-retardant Secan product range.

error: Content is protected !!